This is the floor plan for my asylum idea for the 3D environment project, I have colour coded what I will be making and so on.
Red: I will do instantly, I will be focusing on this more than any other part.
Yellow: If I have time after I have completed the red area I will start on this and see how much I can get done.
Green: Most likely will not be creating this area, If I have the time and I have finished both red and yellow areas I will consider this but for not it is not important.
Artist: Frederic St-Arnaud
Frederic is a famous Matte Painter who works on hollywood movies like Sin City; Silent Hill, Indiana Jones and The Day The Earth Stood Still, he has been doing this for 12 years and already has an amazing portfolio.
“Matte-painting perfectly combines my three passions: illustration, cinema and new technologies. “
From a very young age Frederic loved to draw and hasn’t stopped since! He says that some people dont know what they want to do when they get older but Frederic knew instantly what he was going to do, it was very easy for him although he didn’t start out being a matte artist he started as a story board artist in 1997 only to discover matte painting in 2001 and that he felt that job was made for him.
He gets hes inspiration from movies that he has seen and also cartoons and TV series, he admires science fiction and fantastic stories which you can tell by looking at hes work:
Fredric claims he’d never leave the movie industry because he is a “movie buff” but he does go on to say the video game industry is very attractive for its imaginative content and there are no limits to games because everything is digital!
What I will do:
I will be creating a 3D environment or this project, I will need to gather a theme/map and texturing ideas then create a sketch of the environment and move that to illustrator or photoshop and then finally to maya to make it 3D, to finish this project.
- Internet Connection, Tutorials and videos
- Sketch book and pencil
- Photoshop and Illustrator
- Maya for modelling and rendering
- Insane hospital, I would have a long hallway with cells on each side some doors open some not, Writing on the wall in blood and props in the world for example beds; wheelchairs, drink cans and broken floor tiles etc. id also like a light in the building to flicker as if it was lose wiring and every time it does flicker it would be complete darkness.
- Another idea id like to do would be a city or part of a city in a post apocalyptic state with vegetation growing out of the roads and up the sides of buildings with most of the city broken away and empty, cars rusted and cracked roads.
- Final idea would be an office complex with cubicles and offices but it will be like idea 1 where there is a light that will flicker every now and again, props would be printers; computer towers, desks etc. I am mainly going to do the first idea.
- Week 1
Research and setup.
- Week 2
- Week 3-10
Production (Modeling and texturing)
- Week 10-11
- Week 12
What is concept art: Concept art is mainly to display a visual representation of an idea for movies; video games and comic books before it is put into final production, It helps show what the final product will actually look like for the artists themselves and the public, it is to develop the feel and look of the project almost like a foundation to what they want to create.
most concept artists will create a sketch and give them to the modeler where as others will do every step of the design making it very detailed, art directors hire multiple artists to create concept art so they have a wide range of different designs.
This is concept art from a game called half life 2, this creature is called an “Alien Assassin” they had created the animations for it like running; walking, climbing and idling etc but for some reason they scrapped the idea and replace this with the “Fast Zombie” as shown below,
the animations were given to this character instead because they thought it would fit well with the concept of the game and so replacing the Alien Assassin with the Fast Zombie and was put into the final game.